2 (12 oz) Puff Pastry Dough
8-10 Baking Apples-Cortland or any of your choice
1 tsp Cinnamon or Apple pie spice
½ cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Sugar
- optional: nuts
1. Peel the apples. In a large bowl, slice the apples into thin slices. Use a hand grater on the large slice or a food processor. Add sugar, vanilla sugar and spice. If you like nuts, add some chopped at this point. Mix well and let sit for a few minutes.
2. Roll out dough on floured surface-do not use too much flour. Cut into 4x4 squares. You can use prepared cut squares-just roll them out thinner and cut smaller.
3. Place 1 Tbls of filling in the center of dough. Put another piece of dough of top and press down on edges. With an apple seeler (you can find it on Amazon or at ThePeppermill) press on the dough. Remove all excess dough from the sides.
4. Continue until all squares are done. You can re roll the extra dough from the sides. Place on parchment paper in a cookie sheet size pan.
5. Bake at 350F until light brown in color, about 20 minutes. Let cool. Remove from pan and freeze at this time. When ready to serve, let defrost and re bake for 5-10 minutes or place on warming tray. Dust with confectionary sugar before serving.
6. If you like it sweeter, just add more sugar. This recipe can be adapted to use other fruit like pears or even a mixture of both.
Click here to rate and review the reicpe.