a tasty soup that is also weight watchers. Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 1/4 cup broth and 1 Matzo Ball
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 112 calories; 2g fat; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber
8 cup fat free chicken broth
1 cup store bought matzo meal
¾ cup liquid egg substitute
3 Tbsp cold water
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup zucchini, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. In a medium bowl whisk the matzo meal, oil and water in with the egg substitute. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. In a large soup pot, bring broth to a boil. Add salt, pepper, carrot, celery, parsley and onion; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Gently roll the chilled matzo dough into 8 medium sized balls, dropping them into the simmering broth as you work. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Do not lift the lid: the broth must simmer rapidly to allow the matzo balls to expand properly.
4. Add zucchini and mushrooms and simmer, uncovered, until the veggies are tender – about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Ladle into bowls, and serve.