Last week friday I posted a quick photo of my chicken I was frying on Instagram (Don't follow us yet? You're missing lots of great food and party photos!) From the quick response (see below) I figured it was time to post the recipe on the site.
If there was ever a perfect chicken finger, this is the one. It’s crispy with a slightly sweet bite. While they’re amazing when they’re hot, they’re still pretty good at room temperature, which makes them a great party food. You can also serve these in sandwiches with some slaw and Russian dressing and the crispy onion strings on the side.
1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Oil, for frying
1. Slice the chicken breasts into finger-shaped nuggets by slicing them horizontally across each breast.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and lemon juice.
3. In a medium bowl, combine Rice Krispies, paprika, brown sugar, onion powder, and salt. While mixing, crush the Rice Krispies with your hands.
4. Dredge the chicken fingers in the egg mixture, and then press very well into the Rice Krispies mixture to coat.
5. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add chicken strips, a few at a time, and fry until golden, about 4 minutes per side. The oil will get dirty in between batches from the extra Rice Krispies which fall off the chicken, so add a carrot to the oil to attract the burnt fried bits and keep the oil clean.
Yield: serves 4 to 6
Recipe originally appeared in Ami magazine
. Right hand photo by Dan Engongoro.